Citizens Advice: Delivering a user-centred digital strategy and content management platform
A little background
Citizens Advice is a charity that provides free advice to the public from over 3,200 locations nationally through more than 20,000 volunteers.
Sigma has a long-standing relationship with Citizens Advice stretching back over 12 years. During this time we have designed and developed all of the organisation’s websites, from their award-winning Adviceguide (now incorporated into the main site) to CABlink, the bureau extranet that provides vital information to the network of over 20,000 staff and volunteers nationally. Collectively, the public facing sites attracted over 15M unique visitors last year alone.
“Sigma proved an invaluable partner in helping us to deliver what was a large, complex IT project on time, on budget and to a very high standard. They supported us through the transition to Agile as a new development methodology that has since been rolled out organisation-wide.”
Malcolm Taylor, Digital Strategy, Programme Manager
Sigma has recently completed a major revamp of the national digital strategy. We redesigned and moved all of the sites on to the EPiServer .NET Content Management System (CMS) and brought together all of the sites and platforms (internally and externally) into a single domain in both the front and back end of the service – this was a pretty daunting undertaking! As part of this new strategy, Sigma advised Citizens Advice on user engagement strategy, and implemented innovative new service delivery approaches. During this process we continued to provide a comprehensive management and support service for the organisation’s primary digital channels. The new site has recently been launched and can be found here www.citizensadvice.org.uk.
What we did
Some of the new approaches and features that have been delivered are:
- Alignment with GOV.UK design principles delivering a clean, user-focused approach with an emphasis on clear user journeys and simple, easy-to-use functionality over ‘aesthetic beauty’
- A far greater emphasis on self-service, including integration with live chat, development of personalised user journeys and diagnostics, and leading-edge search functionality
- Community and collaboration features that enable people to interact with and support one another in a way that has never been possible before
- An improved donation process with more powerful transactional functionality and a new payment gateway. We have introduced a number of PET (Persuasion, Emotion, Trust) design principles which significantly enhance conversions in the donation process
- More focus on the advocacy and policy influencing arm of the organisation, supporting campaigns, publications, and whitepapers
Can we help you?
At Sigma, we are always happy to listen, talk and help. Please contact us if you'd like to discuss a project or idea or are interested in our training or events