Job: Front-end Developer - accessibility, web and mobile
By Dave Brislane | 14/09/2018
We Are Sigma. We design services and digital products that help people to live and work better.
We are currently looking for a front-end user interface developer with at least 3 years commercial digital agency experience and a track record of responsive UI/UX work on web, application and mobile design projects. As we continue to grow, this is a great opportunity to join a dynamic and thriving business to work on exciting customer projects as well as internal Sigma brand and marketing initiatives.
About the team
You'll join a talented, friendly DevOps team who work with users, customers and our own user research and design team to build successful digital solutions using both waterfall and agile processes. We also provide on-going support and optimisation to our clients through our service desk.
You will be working with users, customers and teammates to build successful and diverse digital solutions, including websites, applications, mobile apps and dashboards. You will help turn end user and customer requirements into engaging and highly creative and accessible interfaces.
You will have experience of working with clients, strong organisational and communication skills, be comfortable prioritising your work and possess the ability to work on multiple projects. You have excellent attention to detail, and a passion for building responsive, accessible solutions, pattern libraries and code. Highly customer and service orientated, you are a self-starter who is enthusiastic about current and emerging web and mobile technologies and passionate about design challenges. You'll be comfortable working across the project life-cycle, from research and prototyping, through design, development, testing and on-going improvement.
What you’ll be doing
Reporting directly to the DevOps team lead, you will:
- Identify, implement and document the front-end coding standards and process that
- align with our DevOps team’s existing standards
- can be shared with colleagues across the wider Sigma group, where we collaborate on projects and services
- Develop core components for our growing framework and pattern library, that allows us:
- to ensure we have a robust set of accessible and usable components from which to build our apps and websites (while skilfully avoiding an overly templated approach)
- to reduce the number of bugs we see in internal test, UAT and Go live, helping us keep projects on track and within budget
- to offer efficiencies across the development team, where we can comment on and update the framework as technology changes
- Laying the front-end foundations for enhancing our AMP, PWA and mobile services
- Working with the team to evolve or establish frameworks such as React into our standard development process
Key attributes and technical knowledge
We are a supportive organisation and have structured processes in place to help you settle in. We offer training, event and meet-up attendance and the chance to speak at our own and industry events as part of your development.
We hope you can bring the following:
- An understanding of core design, usability and accessibility principles and standards
- An appreciation of the fundamentals of layout, design and typography
- You relish a front-end challenge and can transform customer requirements, brand guidelines and concepts into a compelling and coherent UI approach
- Confident in client meetings and workshops, you have an enthusiasm and ability to discuss and enquire about customer needs and help identify possible solutions
- You can hand code HTML and CSS to an excellent standard with experience of developing code suitable for ‘A’ Grade browsers on multiple platforms
- Happy working with a front-end pre-processor such as SASS
- Experience using a source control environment such as GitHub
- Comfortable working with responsive framework Bootstrap
Desirable skills and experience
The following skills and areas of interest would be really helpful:
- React, Angular.js, Gulp or Grunt
- Accessibility and usability testing
- Page performance/load efficiencies
- Developing mobile UI solutions
- Understanding of server-side technologies such as .Net and PHP
- Knowledge of web content management systems, both Commercial and Open Source, ideally Umbraco or EPiServer
- Proficient with Photoshop, and comfortable using other applications within the Adobe Creative Suite
- Involvement in online or offline communities in areas of personal interest
Location and Benefits
Sigma provides a comprehensive employee benefit package to look after the health and well-being of all our staff. This includes:
- Macclesfield and client sites as necessary
- Some overseas travel (mostly to Europe) may also be required and some nights away from home are expected, but on an infrequent basis
- Paid Holiday – 28 days plus public holidays
- Long service recognition with increased paid holiday after 5 years’ service, up to a maximum of 33 days paid holiday plus public holidays
- Paid sick leave – up to 20 days in any 12-month period
- Flexi time
- Flexible holiday scheme – buy or sell back of up to 5 days leave
- Life assurance (3 x salary) – eligible upon employment
- Income protection insurance (after 13 weeks absence) – eligible upon employment
- Stakeholder pension scheme (5% company contribution) – eligible upon completion of probation
- Private medical insurance, to include Employee Assistance Programme and dental insurance - eligible upon completion of probation
- Overseas business travel insurance
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
If you'd like to know more about the role, get in touch at email@example.com and send us your CV and portfolio/repo or call us on 01625427718 for a friendly chat.